[mapserver-users] Are dynamically generated tiles cached once generated?

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Sun May 22 17:03:04 EDT 2011

On 5/20/2011 1:17 PM, Chenier, Nicolas wrote:
> Hi all,
> Quick question on mapserver/tilecache.
> Lets say a raster layer is dynamically generated with mapserver - is it
> cached/tiled?
> The next time a user loads the same area of a map at the same scale,
> will the tile load faster?
> Is this a "by default" setting or can this be configured somewhere?
> Let me know if you need further information!

Hi Nicolas,

I think we need more information. What are you using to generate tiles:

1. mapserver mode=tile?  This does not cache tiles
2. mapserver 5.6.x with the tilecache patch? Yes, this does cache tiles,
but is deprecated and is not part of 6.0
3. tilecache.org tilecache configured to request tiles from mapserver?
Yes this does cache tiles.
4. something else? What?

While tilecache.org is a separate project and you can check with them on
that, mod_geocache is a new apache module for caching tiles and worked
well with a variety of tile requests, and proxying tile requests via WMS
servers. This does cache tiles and it is replacing the mapserver
tilecache patch. mod_geocache is going to be managed via the mapserver
PSC with the goal to make mod_geocache more mapserver aware so configure
and management of the two are more transparent.

-Steve W