[mapserver-users] Oracle Spatial

Stuart.Harlan at modot.mo.gov Stuart.Harlan at modot.mo.gov
Fri May 27 16:55:22 EDT 2011

I am querying an Oracle Spatial table.  I am restricting the query using
an attribute in the table (road type).  In examining the query sent to
Oracle, it seems to query by attribute first, then by spatial envelope.
For datasets that only return a few features in the attribute query, this
seems fairly efficient.  However, for datasets that return many features
in the attribute query that lie over a large spatial area, it would seem
more efficient to limit by spatial envelope first, then by attributes,
especially if the query area is relatively small compared to the spatial
extent of the dataset.  Can the user be allowed to set the
spatial/attribute query order?

Example query - attribute query is executed first, then spatial.  For
small spatial areas, the query might be faster if the spatial filter were
executed first.

DATA "SHAPE FROM (SELECT SHAPE FROM ROAD_TABLE WHERE DESG IN
('CST','CRD')) USING SRID 8307"

Stuart Harlan
Senior Information Systems Technologist
GIS Web Services