[mapserver-users] Mapserver WMS client and WMS 1.3.0

Rahkonen Jukka Jukka.Rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Thu Nov 17 07:12:49 EST 2011

Hi,

You I do remember but someone really had a WMS 1.3.0 question.

I have had no time for testing cascading WFS 1.1.0 yet. I should make Mapserver to send WFS requests through a logging proxy first for getting some reasonable results. From previous experience I am a bit sceptical but I cannot say much before having a try. Typical things which can go wrong are
- All WFS servers do not necassarily support correctly filters which are sent url-encoded inside http GET requests even they can support them with http POST. I do not know which method Mapserver is using.
- Some WFS servers would rather see PropertyNames given with namespaces
- With WFS 1.1.0 geometries used in spatial filters should follow the official axis order of the corresponding srsName.
- It would be best to give always all the gml geometries explicitly the srsName.  Otherwise nobody can really guarantee what srsName the WFS 1.1.0 server is using as default. As far as I remember Mapserver builds filters without srsName.

There are better possibilities for success with cascading WFS 1.0.0 servers but I won't say that it is impossible with WFS 1.1.0.  What is essential is to make as simple trial as possible and capture the requests Mapserver is sending.  If you play a week or two with different filters and different WFS servers the result to expect is a bunch of bug reports.

-Jukka Rahkonen-