[mapserver-users] mapcache in a cluster

Travis Kirstine traviskirstine at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 10:35:15 EST 2011

When running the seeder (I haven't tested on the fly generation) the
process is running extremely slow.  The seeder is launched using all
available cpus (24) on the server.  We are running MapServer as the
WMS source.

When I launch the seeder using a cache on the same file system the
seeder will spawn 18-24 concurrent WMS request and  mapcache_seed will
be running at 250-350 % CPU.

If I launch the same seeding process using a NFS mounted cache the
performce will drop - The WMS requests will drop to only one request
(if that) and map_cache will be running at less than 60% CPU. The
server is basically idle.

I rechecked the mapcache configuration script and we are writing the
lock files to the same mounted directory as the cache, I'm not sure if
this could be a issue.  I will try writing the lock files locally to
see if this has any effect.

Regards