[mapserver-users] Re: Feature wish: Internal mapfile variables

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Mon Oct 3 19:45:32 EDT 2011

Bob,

I think one of the developers would need to answer this. But here are
some thoughts to consider:

This introduces a lot of latency in the response, because you have to
make a socket request to another host, which needs to create a process
and service the request, and send the results back to you. Not to
mention what do you do if the host or connection are down or bad.

If you are just asking this because it is a tricky way to add parameters
to the request, then I would simply ask to have parametrized includes
especially if I could load all my parameters from an initial include
with a computed filename based on the

To some extent you can already do this at the layer level, we normally
call it a WMS layer ;)

Which brings up the other point of making a remote request for an
include, what is the likelihood that a remote hose is going to know
about the data sources on your host? Are you than going to want remote
access to the data also. Oh wait ... that is a WMS request. :)

Ok, sarcasm aside, it is an interesting idea, but I think it has more
potential issues then benefits, but htat is just my 2 cents.

-Steve W