[mapserver-users] gradient display of raster DEM data

John Callahan john.callahan at udel.edu
Fri Oct 14 16:55:59 EDT 2011

I know this has been asked before but I thought I'd ask to see if anything
changed.

I'm looking to display a raster digital elevation model in mapserver.  My
data is in flat files, img and tiff.  I'd like to display this data as a
continuous gradient color range, rather than using CLASS categories/bins for
specific colors.  Is it still tru ethat this is not possible, easily?

One method (passed to me on this list) was too generate the colored image I
want in another program, using GMT or similar tool, then use that in
mapserver.  This seems like the best option but is non-trivial to someone
who hasn't done this before.  (though not terribly difficult.)

I also read about the use of DATARANGE and COLORRANGE in mapserver.
 However, these are not in the documentation.  Are these available in trunk
only?  A ticket was generated that seems to say this will be included with
MS 6.2.  (http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/ticket/1305)  Any insight on
whether this is still the plan?

Thanks for your help and advice.

- John

John Callahan, Research Scientist
Delaware Geological Survey, University of Delaware