[mapserver-users] AIXM support via WFS?

Ákos Maróy akos at maroy.hu
Sun Oct 16 11:00:21 EDT 2011

Daniel,

> I never heard of AIXM myself until now, and found the following info
> about the format:
>   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIXM

I'm sorry about not elaborating on the origins of AIXM.

> So it seems that AIXM is a GML schema. MapServer supports GML (at least
> simple GML schemas) using CONNECTIONTYPE OGR, so I'd suggest you give it
> a try and see.
>
> The first step would be to try to run 'ogrinfo' against an AIXM file and
> see if it can be read properly. The file may have to be renamed to a
> .gml extension to be recognized (not sure). More info about the OGR GML
> driver is available at See also http://www.gdal.org/ogr/drv_gml.html  In
> the end, if 'ogrinfo' can read the file then MapServer should be happy
> serving it.
>
> However keep in mind that GML being an XML format, performance will be
> sub-optimal on large files, and you may want to convert your data to a
> more optimal format such as shapefiles or postgis using 'ogr2ogr'.

I see. I wonder how AIXM would be represented in the form of shapefiles
or PostGIS.

What I would be interested in having mapserver serve AIXM content via
WFS. but this would imply that mapserver at least understands the
spacial aspects of AIXM, so as to return data only relevant to a WFS
GetFeature query.

I wonder if this could make to work somehow..

> For further questions about OGR's support of AIXM files I would
> recommend the gdal-dev list.

thanks, will do..

Akos