[mapserver-users] Error when running ./mapserv

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Tue Oct 18 16:38:59 EDT 2011

On 11-10-18 10:28 AM, David Quinn wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I'm trying to install mapserver and have a new error. When I run
> `./mapserv' I get the following message:
> "./mapserv: error while loading shared libraries: libcurl.so.4: cannot
> open shared object file: No such file or directory"

You need to add /home/david/lib/ to your lib search path in one of two ways:

1- Locally: Add /home/david/lib/ to the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment
variable in both your shell for command-line use, and in your httpd.conf
for Apache (look for Apache's SetEnv and PassEnv directives)

2- Globally: using ldconfig to set it globally for the system. However
this could cause side-effects to other programs if the libs in
/home/david/lib/ end up being used in preference to the system libs.

--
Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/