[mapserver-users] WMS Client API examples?

Jamison Dance jergason at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 14:36:09 EDT 2011

Hello friends. My name is Jamison Dance, and I am new to the mapserver
lists. I messing around a little with downloading images from WMS
servers based on GPS coordinates, but the WMS server spec is both
difficult to understand and almost entirely free from useful example
of client queries. I have tried playing around with constructing some
simple HTTP request on my own, but with little luck. It seems like you
guys have a pretty good understanding of the spec, so I thought I
would ask for some help here.

Is there a better place to ask these questions? I looked around the
Open Geospatial Consortium for resources for learning more about the
spec, but couldn't find anything besides the spec itself.
Is there a good source for clear API documentation for querying a WMS
server? I know the API is all based on query parameters, but the spec
makes understanding what the parameters are a little difficult.
Is there a list of good public WMS servers to test queries against? I
haven't been able to find any, besides lots of links to a now-defunct
NASA project.

Thanks for your help.