[mapserver-users] Re: Mapserver Projection Errors

SixDegrees paulcarlisle at comcast.net
Wed Oct 19 16:06:22 EDT 2011

That's correct. If I use the "init=epsg:4326" form, no error is thrown;
errors only appear when I use the Proj.4 strings, even if they correspond to
the same projection.

As I understand things, Mapserver only requires the map-level projection to
be in epsg format; individual layers can have projections defined in any
other way Mapserver understands, and when a WMS request is made the layer
will be reprojected to the projections defined at the map level on the fly.
In fact, this seems to happen; as noted, the XML for each layer in the
GetCapabilities response (which produces the errors) contains bounding boxes
that have all been correctly reprojected into epsg:4326 even when the layer
itself is in, for example, a UTM projection defined by a Proj.4 string.

So I'm thinking that this is a Mapserver mistake, and the error messages are
spurious. It certainly seems that way, but it would be nice to have a
definitive answer.