[mapserver-users] multiple highway shields on a single line

Richard Greenwood richard.greenwood at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 22:55:49 EDT 2011

Steve & Steve,

Very interesting discussion. I wish I had more to contribute. My use
case, which I don't think is unique, seems like it might fall between
your respective ideas. I'd like to have 4 highway shields with labels
near the mid point of the visible portion of a single line segment,
with the shields & labels on the line (not side-by-side), and grouped
relatively close to one another. I envision this as a single label
point with a BUFFER.

So assuming no label collisions from other objects, I have a single
line which curves at the mid point of the visible extent. That mid
point is the single label base point. I set BUFFER 4. So a
shield/label is placed 2 pixels up the line from the base point,
another shield/label +4 pixels beyond that, a shield/label 2 pixels
down the line from the base point and another +4 pixels on down the
line. Sorry, I think that deserves a graphic.

Rich