AW: [mapserver-users] Mapserver Projection Errors

Rahkonen Jukka Jukka.Rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Thu Oct 20 07:29:14 EDT 2011

Hi,

Do two more tests: edit the strings in the Mapserver epsg file (for example ms4w\proj\nad\epsg) so that they are the same than yuo generate with python. Give then the layer projection as init=+epsg way and see if you get errors to the log file then.  And double check, give the parameters which are used in the epsg file but directry in the layer definitions as proj strings and see if you'll get errors then.
Just wondering if the real meaning of the error is just "Did not find projection code from the epsg/esri definition files, continuing by other means".

-Jukka Rahkonen-

SixDegrees wrote:

> To summarize the preceding thread contents: Mapfiles are generated using
python, in turn using the GDAL libraries to extract information like the
projection needed in the mapfile. Mapfiles are constructed for use in
response to WMS requests. QGis initially makes a WMS GetCapabilities
request, and this is what is producing the errors in the Mapserver logfile,
one error per layer. This isn't specific to QGis; I get the same errors when
I send my own GetCapabilities request through a browser. The returned XML
does not contain any errors, and layers that have projections that differ
from the top-level mapfile projection - for example, a layer with projection
for UTM Zone 38N, with the mapfile set for epsg:4326 - have bounding boxes
that have been correctly re-projected into the map's projection. If I
replace the layer's Proj.4-style multi-argument string with
"init=epsg:xxxx", where xxxx is the layer's epsg code, no errors are thrown.
Errors only arise when the multi-argument form of the projection string is
used, even when it is equivalent to the epsg code projection.