[mapserver-users] max size of raster via WCS GetCoverage request

Rahkonen Jukka Jukka.Rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Fri Oct 21 16:04:38 EDT 2011

For our server the practical limit is somewhere around 5000x5000 pixels which makes 75 MB per image.  Our users have been satisfied with that so I have not bothered to study how to increase the limit.  If the outputformat is geotiff the images can be easily combined later. Users are downloading aeriel images for local use by sending the bounding box and desired output resolution. Stay with WCS 1.0 if you do not have any very special needs, WCS 1.1.0 is an odd invention as a standard.

-Jukka Rahkonen-

John Cartwright wrote:

> Thanks for your quick response Jukka.

So the MAXSIZE sets the maximum size of the map image (e.g. WMS request)
as well as the size of the raster downloaded  with a WCS GetCoverage
request?  There's no provision to allow a larger data download than map
image?

This seems to have changed sometime between 5.6.3 and 6.0.1, but I
didn't see mention in the release notes.

--john