[mapserver-users] default values if not provided in the URL

Puneet Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 17:48:53 EDT 2011

On Oct 27, 2011, at 12:07 PM, Smith, Michael ERDC-CRREL-NH wrote:

> I guess I get around that by passing class=1 as my filter so I can pass
> 1=1 as the default

Hmmm... I didn't understand the above at all, but...

> If you want to set a default that gets all, perhaps you could use a like
> filter
>
> FILTER "Class like %class%"
>
> And a default of "%"

The suggestion above works quite well. Here is what I did

	FILTER "class LIKE '%%class%%'"

	METADATA
		'class_validation_pattern' '^[a-zA-Z ]+$'
		'default_class' '%'
	END

So, now I can do http://server/app and get everything. Or, request http://server/app?class=Foo and get a map with just "Foo".

Now, the next problem to solve is to allow giving multiple class(es) as in

	http://server/app?class=Foo,Bar,Baz

The only way I can think is to modify the filter like so

	FILTER "class IN (%class%)"

which will allow me to pass values via

	http://server/app?class='Foo','Bar'

but then I won't be able to get all the class(es). Besides, gosh, that URI looks super ugly.

Thoughts? Maybe the cgi interface is malleable only to a degree. After that I have to start thinking of other ways of solving this.

So, here is what I am thinking -- insert a proxy in between. That would allow me to let the user formulate queries any which way I want, and then reformat those queries to the way mapserver expect them. Of course, this proxy would have to sit between mapserver and the rest of the apps, which in my world includes OpenLayers.

Would love any directions and suggestions to tackle this.