[mapserver-users] advice on best practice for MapServer layer in OL/Gmaps

Mr. Puneet Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 19:19:30 EDT 2011

In another tortured thread I am seeking advice on WMS with MapScript. My ultimate intent is to provide MapServer layers in OL/Gmaps/(some_other) web app. I need to use MapScript because of the flexibility and freedom it gives me in querying my datasources, and in constructing the map.

Do I have to use WMS? What, if any, are the alternative? I notice that MapServer now has a `mode=tile` that is designed with Gmaps kinda app in mind. Is that a better mode? Would that work with OL as well? Or with Leaflet or some other client-side web mapping framework?

Its been a while since I have used MapServer extensively for creating a full-fledged app, but the time to do is coming up now. I would really appreciate any advice on this front.

Puneet.