[mapserver-users] recommended tile caching mechanism with `mode=tile`

Mr. Puneet Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 10:08:07 EDT 2011

On Sep 17, 2011, at 11:43 PM, Daniel Morissette wrote:

> On 11-09-18 12:08 AM, Mr. Puneet Kishor wrote:
>> I am using MapServer cgi with `mode=tile` with a Google Maps front-end, and am wondering what is a recommended tile cache server.
>>
>> Any suggestions from personal experience?
>>

> MapServer MapCache of course! It is a fully featured, robust and fast tiling server. Only available in MapServer SVN trunk at the moment.
>
> http://mapserver.org/trunk/mapcache/
>
> It was formerly known as Mod-Geocache until a few weeks ago... the website is in the process of being migrated to the above URL, but in the meantime you can still reach the old site:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/mod-geocache/

Very nice. I look forward to installing this; hopefully, it will be straightforward.

A couple of questions --

1. I was looking at mod_cache (mod_disk_cache and mod_mem_cache) yesterday and wondering if they could be used to cache the images. Is mod_geocache inspired/based on those modules?

2. Why wed this to Apache? By making it web-server agnostic, you open up the audience.

Puneet.