[mapserver-users] street round intersection, crossroads

gabriel munteanu jajalinux at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 08:51:33 EST 2012

Hi,

I would like to achieve in mapserver something like this google map:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Paris,+France&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=47.174895,-1.624206&spn=0.005594,0.012167&sll=44.437711,26.097367&sspn=0.376038,0.778656&t=m&z=17
Please notice the round crossroads.
Before I place my question, here is my setup.
the map editor: a custom openlayers tool.
It saves labels, lines, polygons through WFS-T with tinyows into a
postgres+postgis db.
a mapserver to render these vector features.
There are 2 questions:
1. As my starting point is raw satellite images, what would be the
best approach for the editor? Should I let him make only the lines for
the street and then I compute the intersections in the sql query in
the layer section of the mapserver? should i give him the possibility
to make a point at the intersection of the 2 lines on a different
layer? or maybe a regular polygon with many sides ?
2. Once I have the lines on the street layer and optional
point/regular polygon on the crossroads layer, how do I go about and
make it look like the google map shown at the link above ?
I will take as example the crossroads at Rue Eugene Pottier and Route
de Paimboeuf. Coming from North-East the thin red line acting as
border goes around in a nice curve and goes north to  Rue Eugene
Pottier [the border below goes south the same nice way]. and in the
middle there is a circle showing underneath layers with the same color
- thin red.

I didn't find any examples, or any mapserver map that can do this? Is
it even possible? Or is there a trick in STYLE section that can
achieve this result?

Thank you in advance,
Gabi