[mapserver-users] RE: How to label only largest displayed

Anzel, Phil - NRCS, Fort Collins, CO Phil.Anzel at ftc.usda.gov
Fri Feb 3 10:36:00 EST 2012

Hi, Steve W,

Thanks again. I'll hold on to your enhancement suggestion and if your MINDISTANCE/MINFEATURESIZE suggestions, coupled with Steve L.'s sorting suggestion do not yield a cartographically-pleasing solution, I'll create the enhancement ticket and investigate how best to proceed.

FWIW we're using Microsoft SQL Server 2008, which lets us clip polygons as part of the retrieval query. The enhancement ticket I recently submitted (#4173: Define a current layer extent's WKT string for use in Data statement) shows how it is done; the missing piece is to actually have the dimensions of the bounding box. My ticket asks that such information, the layer's extent as well-kn0wn-text, be made available for lexical substitution in the Data statement. Again, if your and Steve L.'s suggestions work out, the need for your suggested enhancement, as well as mine, fades away.

- Phil