[mapserver-users] Mapfile Generators

pcreso at pcreso.com pcreso at pcreso.com
Fri Feb 3 14:58:02 EST 2012

Hi Paul,

QGIS has such a tool, I'm not sure about Arc.

You should be able to handcraft a generic mapfile as a template you can re-use as required. I had a use case some time ago for this sort of thing & used a Linux shell script to make the text substitutions in such a template from reading a spreadsheet containing the mapfile parameters required for each individual shapefile.

These days I tend to manage data in Postgis, & use a filter or mapserver's variable substitution to manage such situations.

Using a single mapfile with cgi wrappers to re-use it in this way for different datasets works better for me than maintaining lots of separate mapfiles.

In a couple of situations where this is not flexible enough, having a cgi actually contain the mapfile text, so it writes the customised mapfile, then invokes it, also works for me.

Cheers,

   Brent Wood