[mapserver-users] Re: Reloading MapCache configuration file on changes?

thomas bonfort tbonfort at terriscope.fr
Wed Feb 22 02:37:39 PST 2012

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 11:22, Pavel Iacovlev <iacovlev.pavel at gmail.com> wrote:
> apache2ctl -k graceful is not really an option for me because I would have
> to give root privileges to my apache/php.
you can create a sudo rule that only allows a user to run apache2ctl
-k graceful without giving full root access.

> "AFAIK, this isn't possible." I don't know anything about apache modules and
> stuff so the next thing I say may not be applicable or just plain stupid,
> but maybe each process will hold their own copy of configuration so the
> apache process will be able to alter it's configuration upon detection of
> file change. There is certainly that added overhead of "checking last
> modified date" and keeping more copies in memory, but this should not be the
> default behavior.

afaik, at the request level (which is were the freshness test would
occur), there's no way of freeing the memory that allocated the
initial configuration, and no way of allocating memory for the new
configuration that would live across the upcoming requests.