[mapserver-users] Oracle Locator support

Michael Shishcu micklesh at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 22:44:39 PST 2012

Hi Bill,
Here (
http://www.spatialdbadvisor.com/oracle_spatial_tips_tricks/55/oracle-locator-vs-enterprise-licensing-the-sdogeom-package)
You can find differences between Spatial and locator.
That was posted in 2007 - anyway, in general, that is true. There also had
been changes in 11g (R1 or R2 - do not remember exactly) that added a
number of features into locator from spatial.
Less words, you can easily use locator for wms/wfs services etc, with
restriction to several analytic  packages/functions.

One more thing to mention. Every feature that is available in spatial is
also accessible in locator (afair true for Oracle Enterprise and Standard
editions, not sure with XE). The only difference is licensing.
So you can develop your application, write down all the functions you used
and decide does that list fit into locator or not. If not - you go into
spatial or change your code.

regards, michael