[mapserver-users] mapcache of non-jpeg/png formats

Enzmann, Alexander R. xander at mitre.org
Thu Jan 5 08:21:11 EST 2012

The JPEG and PNG formats are a subset of “web formats”.  How about GIF, Tiff, SVG, PDF...?  Also, if you look at what MapServer itself supports (especially if you include GDAL), mapcache only supports a small fraction of the raster formats you might generate.  There’s also no reason not to cache vector content that can be geographically divided (e.g., geonames).

Mapcache (like TileCache, MapProxy, …) also behaves as a WMS server.  In that regard it may be feeding a client that wants GeoTIFF, terrain information, etc.  These clients (OpenLayers, Worldwind, Quantum GIS, …) typically are looking for tiles with standard geographic boundaries.

Re, "...help me think out of the box and give me a bit of context..."

When I use Worldwind as a part of an application, I can define raster and vector layers that are based on WMS or WFS sources.  The raster layers are most often PNG format, but for terrain Worldwind uses BIL.  Often the source terrain data is an ASC or greyscale GeoTIFF format with 16 bit integer "pixels" (they are posts, not pixels, but that's another discussion).  Using MapServer I can provide a WMS service that automatically selects from high resolution terrain information where it exists, moderate over most landmasses (e.g., 1 arcsecond ASTER) or coarse anywhere on Earth (e.g., 30 arcsecond SRTM or GTOPO).  The output terrain tiles are generated using the same resolution/hierarchy approach as image layers.

If the (currently "experimental") direct connection between mapcache and mapserver could be really exploited, then in the future it would be really nice to see mapcache providing a tiled/cached front end to everything that mapserver can do as a WMS/WFS server.  In particular I would want to see the ability to generate terrain tiles and geographically bounded vector content.

I currently use other tile caching solutions together with MapServer, so it seemed reasonable to support one that has a direct relationship.   Building and deploying to Apache was pretty straightforward - it looks like it is heading in the right direction.

Xander