[mapserver-users] Mapserver install - Mac OS X and safari

Rahkonen Jukka Jukka.Rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Mon Jan 16 15:36:39 EST 2012

Hi,

I don't know anything about Macs but http://localhost.com<http://localhost.com/> feels odd. Perhaps it should be just http://localhost?<http://localhost/?>

-Jukka Rahkonen-
________________________________
M Badar wrote:

> Greetings,

> New user to the list.  I am installing mapserver on my MacBook Pro.  The installation has progressed without error until I attempt to call the 'mapserv' cgi executable from safari; it returns the following error after running the final check as described in the documentation:

> # Page 40, MapServer Documentation, Release 6.0.1; 4.1.8 Installation - The basic install.

# This is the final test to ensure mapserver is installed and functioning correctly.
# When attempting to access the test URL, safari returns the following error:

# Test URL: http://localhost.com/cgi-bin/mapserv

# Safari error:

# safari can't open the page "http://localhost.com/cgi-bin/mapserv" because the server
# unexpectedly dropped the connection.

Mapserver version: 6.0.1
Mac OS X version: 10.6.8
Safari version: 5.1.2

My suspicion is the error is related to how mapserver and apache are communicating; however, not being apache literate, I don't know where to begin diagnosing the connection problem.  I ran a syntax check on the httpd.conf file and it returned the following:

Michael-Badars-MacBook-Pro:bin bobby$ apachectl -t
httpd: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using
Michael-Badars-MacBook-Pro.local for ServerName
Syntax OK
Michael-Badars-MacBook-Pro:bin bobby$

The above error is returned regardless if I am connected to the internet via a wireless or hardwired connection.

Listed below are details regarding my installation.

Mike Badar

#
# Map Server 6.0.1 "configure" script.
#