[mapserver-users] Resolved: Mapserver install - Mac OS X and safari

Puneet Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 14:18:42 EST 2012

On Jan 18, 2012, at 1:13 PM, M Badar wrote:

> Thanks again to everyone who provided input.  The gist of the problem was
> related to a conflict between the version of apache I had installed and the
> version which is shipped with OS X.  Listed below are the steps I followed
> to eliminate the problem:
>
> 1. Completely uninstall the apache version shipped with OS X;

You did the single most possibly wrong thing with #1 above. Never, never touch the stuff that comes with the system if for no other reason than you just don't have to.

> 2. Ran 'find' to search for http occurrences on the filesystem: find /
> -name '*http*' -print;
> 3. Deleted the following file to stop OS X from starting apache
> automatically:
>
>     /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/org.apache.httpd.plist

Good lord. All you had to do was to go to "System Preferences.." and turn off web sharing.

If you really wanted to do it the difficult way, you could have done a `launchctl unload` (http://ss64.com/osx/launchctl.html)

> 4. Start apache manually with 'apachectl'
>
>     /usr/local/apache2/bin/apachectl start
>
> 5. Access the mapserver URL as follows:
>
>     http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv
>
> 6. Success - the following was displayed by Safari:
>
>     No query information to decode. QUERY_STRING is set, but empty.
>
> 7. Let the fun begin!
>
> Although I'm not sure which of the steps above actually fixed the problem,
> I believe it was steps 1 and 3 which were the critical parts of the
> solution.

I hope it works out for you... good luck.