[mapserver-users] Relative path's in mapfile

Rahkonen Jukka Jukka.Rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Wed Jan 25 10:04:19 EST 2012

Hi,

I have been thinking that the the MAP METADATA parameter "wms_onlineresource" might have a setting
"wms_onlineresource" "auto"

It would capture the url that was used for reading the GetCapabilities and place the reasonable parts of it  automatically into GetCapabilities response.

This option would serve also the development-test-production migration, but originally I had another use for it in my mind. It is possible to do wonderful things with Mapserver variables and runtime substitution but standard WMS clients do not support using the vendor options easily. But imagine that user reads GetCapabilities as

http://server.org/cgi-bin/mapserver_wms?service=WMS&version=1.1.0&request=GetCapabilities&variable1=foo&variable2=bar
and then the GetMap onlineresource in GetCapabilities would look like
http://server.org/cgi-bin/mapserver_wms?variable1=foo&variable2=bar

Standard compliant clients would pick the GetMap online resource from GetCapabilities and use it thereafter as base-URL for the GetMaps. Quantum GIS and OpenJUMP are really behaving this way but I do not know about the others.

As a result we would get nice possibilities for tailoring the WMS service, and even that would be done with a trick of transferring some vendor parameters into onlineResource, it is all acceptable according to the WMS standard.

-Jukka Rahkonen-