[mapserver-users] zoom to place by name

pcreso at pcreso.com pcreso at pcreso.com
Mon Jan 30 23:06:58 EST 2012

Provided your use complies with the terms of the Google terms of use, you could probably develop an app based on the public Google API.

I figure your proposal essentially involves two steps:
 develop a public database of placenames & extents
 provide a service enabling the easy reuse of these data for zooming functionality

Note that Google solutions are somewhat arbitrary, so that Chinese placenames in Tibet (for example) do not exist in the Indian Google service, and vice versa for the Chinese Google service. Similar local variations occur elsewhere, so while Google does have a global dataset, it is not implemented as such, but as local variants. This is needed to comply with legislative requirements in different countries.

An "open global" solution that did not support these political idiosyncrasies would be illegal to use in some countries.

Brent Wood