[mapserver-users] C compiler for compiling on GNU

Paul Maddock Paul.Maddock at ijus.net
Tue Jan 31 08:34:43 EST 2012

Hi all,

I've just started working on implementing mapserver into one of my company's servers which is using GNU.  A little background on the server I'm using: my IT contact whom set up the server has sudo rights while he has me interacting with the server via a likewise-open setup, which from what I gather allows me to have access via a windows machine (correct me if I'm wrong).  Now, I've downloaded mapserver-6.0.1.tar.gz, untared/zipped the file.  I went to move into the new mapserver-6.0.1 directory and run ./configure. This is what bash shot back at me:
Checking for gcc... no
Checking for cc... no
Checking for cl... no
Configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH

I understand I need a C compiler, specifically the GCC Multilanguage compiler but I don't know where to download gcc-4.6.2 to or whether that need compiling to (It seems a bit redundant to compile a compiler).  Mind you I when I ran ./configure, it was on my personal directory.

Any help in compiling mapserver would be great.

Many Thanks.

Sincerely,
Paul A. Maddock