[mapserver-users] Style a polygon with Horizontal, Vertical, or Diagonal Lines using SLD?

Paul Edwards pjfingers at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 14:36:41 EST 2012

Hi All!

I'm wondering if anyone has experience styling maps with horizontal,
vertical, or diagonal lines when using MapServer WMS and a custom provided
SLD? The documentation states:

http://mapserver.org/ogc/sld.html#named-styles-support

"A Fill can be a solid fill or be a Graphic Fill, which is either a
well-known Mark symbol (e.g., square, circle, triangle, star, cross, x) or
an ExternalGraphic element (e.g., gif, png) available through a URL"

This pretty clearly states that the way to accomplish my goal is by tiling
an externally referenced image that has the line oriented the way I want,
but then we lose the coloring options. GeoServer has some cool SLD
extensions that are outside the spec (see link below) and I was wondering
if MapServer had anything similar?

http://docs.geoserver.org/stable/en/user/styling/sld-extensions/pointsymbols.html#the-shape-symbols

Thanks!
Paul