[mapserver-users] Failed to open map file error

Bistrais, Bob Bob.Bistrais at maine.gov
Mon Jun 4 10:11:48 PDT 2012

I'm trying to migrate an application which now uses MapServer 6.0.2,
from 6.0.1.  I understand this should be seamless, but I am having
problems with a query, the FireBug error says it cannot open the map
file.

Here are the lines of code triggering the error:

$path="/ms4w_304/apps/maptest/maps/towns100.map";

$map = ms_newMapObj($path);

Resulting error message:

Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'MapScriptException' with message
'Failed to open map file "/ms4w_304/apps/maptest/maps/towns100.map"' in
C:\ms4w_304\apps\maptest\htdocs\php\identify.php:132

-This layer will draw properly using the same .map file, so I don't
think there's a problem in the map file.

Another interesting issue- this application works fine on my local
machine.  It's when I migrate it to a server that I get this error.
However, the local machine and server are both using MS4W 3.0.4, with
MapServer 6.0.2 and everything else in the MS4W 304 package.

I've checked the permissions.  Not totally sure, but I don't' think they
are an issue.

Does anyone have suggestions on what else to check?