[mapserver-users] Mapserver/PostGIS Faster Initial Load Time

Lime, Steve D (DNR) Steve.Lime at state.mn.us
Fri Jun 8 07:24:59 PDT 2012

I've noticed latency the first time mapserv is executed, presumably as a result of loading into memory and dynamic linking. Once the OS caches everything it's nice and snappy. I tend to see that only on my development versions though because on our production boxes the executables are hit often enough that they are always in memory. Unless access is very infrequent I'd think latency due to loading a binary would be rare.

I suppose you could simulate traffic on the server-side to make sure everything is memory resident. That is, make a small request every 5 minutes or whatever using cron or the Windows equivalent.

I'm not experienced enough with PostGIS to know if there's any tuning to do there. Maybe others have ideas.

Steve