[mapserver-users] Mapserver/PostGIS Faster Initial Load Time

Donald Kerr donald.kerr at dkerr.co.uk
Sat Jun 9 08:13:03 PDT 2012

Jeff,

Great tip!

My deployment uses a full compressed build of the openlayers.js file with
some changes to vml.js (uses vml textpath - for <= IE8) and svg.js (uses
text rotation - for Chrome and Firefox). This file comes in at 927 KB.

I created a custom compressed build of the openlayers.js file, again
including the vml and svg changes. The new file comes in at 443 KB; a very
significant drop in size.

Both files were built using the latest, hot off the press,
OpenLayers-2.12-rc6.

Prior to creating and using the new, smaller openlayers.js file, I tested
the time to get the first raster image tile from boot up with the larger
file which was 16 seconds. I did a one click zoom to the first layer that
has PostGIS sitting behind it and that took a further 8 seconds. After that
initial load of both layer types, everything is speedy with very little
delay at all.

I then substituted the new, smaller openlayers.js file and repeated the
process from boot up. Low and behold, I get exactly the same results: 16
seconds then 8 seconds. Whilst there is probably a time saving in terms of
milliseconds, the perceptional difference is nil.

However, I do agree that the smaller openlayers.js file is the way to go in
terms of reducing unnecessary initial traffic and also having less
javascript in memory; something that will no doubt aid Internet Explorer
speed-wise as that particular platform is chronic at best.

Thanks again for the tip.

Regards,

Donald