[mapserver-users] Hindi and Thai text rendering

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Tue Jun 19 05:59:41 PDT 2012

Hi Ian,

The symptoms you are describing are similar to what I have run into with
rendering Arabic. What we found was that the TTF we were using was
missing some glyphs related to connecting characters in the script. My
client Identified these and we were able to locate a different font that
had better glyph coverage for Arabic. I don't know anything about Hindi
and Thai so looking at you results will not help, but it does sounds
like the basic rendering is working.

Assuming the above is true, then you would need to identify the
characters that are wrong or missing by there character codes and then
find a font that has support for those codes. If you think fribidi is
not handling things correctly, I have found their mailing list to be
very helpful and they suggested changes to how we used their code in
mapserver in the past to filter out some zero width space utf8 codes
that were causing problems for Arabic.

-Steve W