[mapserver-users] Setup advice please?

Rainer Spittel rainer at silverstripe.com
Sun Mar 4 15:07:19 EST 2012

Hi Brent,

The setup of the tool and connecting to the data source, i.e. to an UMN
Mapserver layer, does not take long.
I have worked with tileCache and GeoWebCache which is relative straight
forward. But you have to consider the dependencies you introduce within
your environment, i.e. do you want to introduce Tomcat? I don't have
experience with the other tools you refer to, but I assume that getting a
layer ready does not take long. Based on Steve's post, I would tend a
stable release of MapProxy or tileCache which connects to Mapserver.

You introduce a new component to your infrastructure and need to link
existing components to the new data service, I assume besides deployment,
you need to do some integration testing on top of that.

To get a better understanding of your requirements, I would ask you the
following questions:

- What is the spatial extend of the data, what the the scales you need to
support?

When you introduce a map-tile cache, is it important to know if the
filesystem is able to deal with the amount of files you store. It sounds
over-the-top but I really experienced performance problems with ext3
filesystem when I tried to create pre-cached tiles for New Zealand down to
the scale 1:2000, and I also  reached filesystem limitations (exceeded
number of i-nodes) when I tried to pre-seed the layers 1:1000 and below.
This can be managed if you don't require the layer to be seeded completely
and by configuring your filesystem to accommodate that amount of files you
need to store.

- For your infrastructure, are you bound to a specific distribution and if
so, are the tile-cache packages available?
- Is the imagery data already made available via an WMS?
- If not, is the imagery data prepared to meet your business and functional
goals, such as performance, desired projection etc. Is the data available
as a tiled base layer or is the imagery data coming from different sources
and you have to merge those into one layer? I usually use gdaladdo for
GeoTiffs a lot to generate overview images to improve the performance for
larger scale maps.
- If this is a base layer, do you need the GetFeature support?
- How often does the basemap get updated? If it is a static layer which
does not get updated, I wonder if a pre-seeded solution would be more
efficient because you don't really have to maintain the components and use
a wrapper to provide the cache tiles.

Cheers,
Rainer