[mapserver-users] MapServer 6.0.1 ignoring WMS options?

David Miller teknocreator at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 15:20:43 EST 2012

Hi list!

We have MapServer 6.0.1 installed on our Linux system (CentOS 5.7) and have
encountered an issue where the WMS options (i.e. BBOX, HEIGHT, WIDTH) seem
to be ignored for a GetMap request.  I have checked options for and output
from running the configure script for building the executable.  The
--with-proj and --with-wms options are specified (though one shouldn't need
it if --with-proj is there correctly).  Output from running the configure
script indicates that the -DUSE_WMS_SVR compiler switch was on when
compiling the mapwms.c code, which is where that becomes important.  I
examined that code and it's here that MapServer first uses the extents in
the mapfile as defaults but then adjusts that based on the BBOX, HEIGHT,
and WIDTH options in the GetMap request.  Running -v on the resulting
executable also indicates SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER.

The call to MapServer does produce an image but for the entire EXTENT of
the data that's specified in the mapfile.  Doesn't make any difference
whether it's a raster or point layer.

Example REQUEST:

http://(our main site
address)/cgi-bin/mapserv?REQUEST=GetMap&SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.1.1&FORMAT=image%2Fpng&MODE=map&MAP=wxmap%2Fglmpvis.map&LAYERS=mosaic&SRS=EPSG%3A3857&TRANSPARENT=TRUE&STYLES=&BBOX=-13807095.590531%203308267.5857033%20-12241665.251469%204482340.3400001&WIDTH=640&HEIGHT=480

First part of the mapfile:

MAP
   NAME "testgrib"
   IMAGETYPE     PNG
   EXTENT           -14000000 3000000 -7000000 7000000

As you can see, the EXTENT in the mapfile are different than the BBOX
values.  When I put the BBOX values in the EXTENT area in the mapfile, the
image lines up with the map background as it should.

So for some reason, it appears that something isn't being set correctly to
allow our MapServer to accept standard WMS options.  Perhaps somehow, this
value of USE_WMS_SVR in mapwms.c isn't getting set correctly?  But, by all
the output we've checked, it looks like MapServer gets built correctly and
to enable it as a WMS server.

Anyone else with a similar issue or somewhere else we should check for a
problem?

Thanks for any help!

Dave M