[mapserver-users] force labels to fit in polygons

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Mon Mar 5 16:50:42 EST 2012

On 3/5/2012 4:44 PM, Mark Volz wrote:
> Hello,
> Is there a way to force labels to fit inside of a polygon, even if a
> polygon is irregularly shaped? I noticed that with POSITION AUTO labels
> are falling outside of my soils boundary.

The short answer is no. It is an interesting problem, but it does not
have a guaranteed result as the label might be too big to fit
regardless. I am not even sure of the algorithm should be for something
like this. There are a lot of parameters like:

font
font size
wrapping the text
changing the angle
finding the longest line, arc or smooth polyline that fits withing the
polygon and then have the text follow that line

These are all computationally expensive to do on the fly while
rendering. Ideally these should be worked out in advance then you can
supply the attributes to the label via binding columns in the data.

-SteveW