[mapserver-users] RE: WMS for netcdf [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

teknocreator teknocreator at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 07:07:07 EST 2012

I would be interested as well with *Armin*'s code suggestions/examples,
though I agree with Kathleen that this may not be a preferred approach.  I'd
like to cast a vote here to *Jukka* for being able to somehow alter the
raster bands with either variable substitution or else with changing the URL
parameters.  Most of our data thus far is only 3-dimensional (x, y, t) with
no height dimension.  So, it would be a desired feature to be able to easily
move through the time dimension by just being able to change the bands.  For
us at present, each band in a GRIB file is a different time period for the
same data.

That being said, better long term solutions and moving towards OGC standards
for our data may be to devote our efforts to creating a WCS for our data or
preprocess the data so that the WMS "time" option can be used.

*Kathleen* - you may be interested in this project (if you haven't seen it
already) that deals directly with NetCDF with a WMS - ncWMS:
http://www.resc.rdg.ac.uk/trac/ncWMS/wiki/FrequentlyAskedQuestions.  Another
group I work with is adapting this software for another project which uses
NetCDF.

Thanks for others' replies!

Dave M