[mapserver-users] Base map data for WMS

Reinoud Bokhorst reinoud.bokhorst at bmtargoss.com
Wed Mar 7 04:57:53 EST 2012

Thank you for your answers.

@Edward: Thank you for that link, just what I needed. I have been looking at OSM before but it
always seemed to be mainly about street maps with too many features and I never really found out how
to use it.
In the link you provided I now also see decent topographic maps so I'll certainly give it a try!

@Andrea: Natural Earth indeed seems to be a good alternative to start with, thank you for that link.

On 03/07/2012 10:02 AM, Andrea Aime wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 9:43 AM, Edward Mac Gillavry <emacgillavry at hotmail.com
> <mailto:emacgillavry at hotmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Reinoud,
>
>     For this, I'd recommend going with OpenStreetMap data (http://www.openstreetmap.org/). You can
>     either download the whole data set for the world yourself and start building, or you can take
>     mapping services from various suppliers. Check out http://www.switch2osm.org/ for further
>     information. You'll be in good company!
>

> I've also seen people download and use OSM data in locations where no internet connection is available
> (closed networks), they just downloaded the full OSM world file, imported it in postgis using osm
> in a box,
> and then used the osm in a box styles to map it with GeoServer.
>
> If the dataset is too big and you just need to do low scale cartography the "natural earth"
> dataset is also
> quite good: http://www.naturalearthdata.com/downloads/
>
> Cheers
> Andrea
>
> --
> Ing. Andrea Aime
> GeoSolutions S.A.S.
> Tech lead
>
> Via Poggio alle Viti 1187
> 55054  Massarosa (LU)
> Italy
>
> phone: +39 0584 962313
> fax:      +39 0584 962313
> mob:    +39 339 8844549
>
> http://www.geo-solutions.it
> http://geo-solutions.blogspot.com/
> http://www.youtube.com/user/GeoSolutionsIT
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/andreaaime
> http://twitter.com/geowolf

Reinoud Bokhorst
Advisor Oceanography&  ICT

Tel:	    +31 (0)527 242 299
Fax:	    +31 (0)527 242 016
Website:	www.bmtargoss.com

BMT ARGOSS b.v., Voorsterweg 28, 8316 PT, Marknesse, The Netherlands

(Postal address : PO Box 61, 8325 ZH, Vollenhove, The Netherlands)

Registered in The Netherlands, Registered no. 39060160.

Unless otherwise agreed by BMT ARGOSS in writing, all  work, services, goods or products supplied by BMT ARGOSS shall be subject to and governed by BMT ARGOSS’s own terms and conditions which are available for inspection from BMT ARGOSS on request.

E-mail confidentiality notice and disclaimer:
The contents of this e-mail and any attachments are intended for the use of the mail addressee(s) shown. If you are not that person, you are not allowed to read it, to take any action based upon it or to copy it, forward, distribute or disclose the contents of it and you should please delete it from your system. BMT ARGOSS does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the context of this e-mail or its attachments which arise as a result of internet transmission, nor accept liability for statements which are those of the author and clearly not made on behalf of BMT ARGOSS.

Please consider the environmental impacts of printing this email, and only do so if really necessary