[mapserver-users] Label alignment

Ian Walberg ian.walberg at airborne.aero
Tue Mar 13 21:26:28 EDT 2012

Folks,

I am not sure what the correct terminology is for our current issue but
let me give explaining it a try.

We are using a label layer with transform off to display some overview
information on a map.

The text sometimes needs to be lined up horizontally or spaced evenly
vertically.

It appears that the text function is using the outer perimeter of the
text as the anchor point for the location.

So in the case where there are characters which drop below the normal
text line (e.g. g, y p, j, q) then the text is not aligned as we would
hope. The same is true for the top of the text with different characters
of course.

The text is then not aligned as you would expect if different labels are
drawn say 3 in a row horizontally at the same vertical location.

If we concatenate the labels to a single string this helps the
individual lines but is misaligned vertically.

So is there any way (or any plans) to help this? It could be that at
alignment mode that is relative to either end of the line (not sure what
it's called) under the text would be what we need. This could also in
some instances tidy up more traditional labels as they would be draw a
little more naturally relative to the point.

Looking forward to your thoughts and comments.

Thanks

Ian