[mapserver-users] Run-time Substitution and Raster file problem

teknocreator teknocreator at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 19:43:30 EDT 2012

This is somewhat related to the post by Kathleen Hirst on Feb 27.  We're
using MapServer 6.0.1 and I'm attempting get around the fact that one isn't
able to change the PROCESSING "BANDS=" directive via Run-time Substitution.
I couldn't find a way to do it through modifying the URL that's passed
either.  As we don't have a many rasters in a file as Kathleen, I thought of
splitting the bigger file up into individual rasters.  Then use Run-time
Substitution and pass in either the filename or just a piece of the file
name to the DATA portion of the mapfile.  The docs seem to indicate I should
be able to do this.  But, I get an error with each attempt.  Here's what I
tried first:

MAP
  NAME "testgrib"
  IMAGETYPE      PNG
  EXTENT         -14000000 3000000 -7000000 7000000
  STATUS         ON
  SIZE           2145 1377

  SHAPEPATH      "../shapefiles"
  SYMBOLSET      "../symbols/symbols35.sym"
  FONTSET        "../fonts/fonts.list"
  DATAPATTERN "^.*$"
  IMAGECOLOR     255 255 255

  PROJECTION
   "init=epsg:3857"
  END
  WEB
    IMAGEPATH "test/img/tmp/ms_tmp/"
    IMAGEURL "http://localhost:8080/wxmap/test/img/tmp/ms_tmp/"
    METADATA
      "wms_title"                  "WMS Test " ## REQUIRED
      "wms_onlineresource"         "http://localhost:8080/cgi-bin/mapserv?"
## Recommended
      "wms_srs"                    "ESPG:3857 EPSG:4326 EPSG:4269 EPSG:3978
EPSG:900913" ## Recommended
      "wms_abstract"               "This text describes my WMS service." ##
Recommended
      "wms_enable_request" "*"
      "ows_sld_enable" "true"
    # testing
      "wms_feature_info_mime_type" "text/html"
    END
  END

  OUTPUTFORMAT
    NAME "png"
    DRIVER GD/PNG
    MIMETYPE "image/png"
    IMAGEMODE RGBA
    EXTENSION "png"
    TRANSPARENT ON
  END

  LAYER # GRIB attempt
    NAME         mosaic
    STATUS       ON
    TYPE         RASTER

    DATA         *../grib/ds_vis%fhour%.grb*

    CLASSITEM "[pixel]"
    METADATA
     "gml_include_items" "all"
     "wms_include_items" "all"
    END
   'fhour_validation_pattern' '^[][_a-zA-Z0-9]+$'
# testing
    DUMP TRUE
    HEADER  "../templates/test_header.html"
    TEMPLATE "../templates/test_body.html"
    FOOTER "../templates/test_footer.html"

    PROJECTION
     "proj=lcc"
     "lat_1=25"
     "lat_2=25"
     "lat_0=0"
     "lon_0=-95"
     "x_0=0"
     "y_0=0"
     "a=6371200"
     "es=0.0"
     "+no_defs"
    END

    PROCESSING "NODATA=32129"
    PROCESSING "BANDS=01"
    PROCESSING "SCALE=0,11200"
    LABELITEM "[pixel]"

    CLASS
    NAME "< 1/4"
    EXPRESSION ([pixel] < 400 )
    STYLE
        COLOR 100 0 100
    END
    END

  END # End of mosaic layer

END

But this results in:

"loadLayer(): Unknown identifier. Parsing error near (%):(line 90)
msOutputFormatValidate():"

I tried a few variations:
- using RTS for the entire file name
- specifying the entire path
- quotes/no quotes around the full file path name (different error with
quotes)

to no avail.  I tried others these either ended up in other errors.  Pretty
much hitting walls everywhere and winding up with some of the same
variations.  So, thought it was time to ask what I might be doing wrong or
if this is even possible.  I've used RTS successfully with Postgres/PostGIS,
so I thought this should work as well.  And it's the DATA statement where I
thought this would most likely work.

Appreciate any thoughts/help!

Dave M