[mapserver-users] Image compression/performance

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Thu Mar 22 00:11:05 EDT 2012

On 3/21/2012 11:18 PM, Ian Walberg wrote:
> Folks,
>
> We are using tif format images and getting good map rendering
> performance.
>
> However the image file size could do with reducing a little.
>
> Anyone got experience of what compression options we have that have the
> least impact on performance?

My experience of working with USGS DOQQ satellite imagery in GeoTiff
files, was that the amount of compression really did not make a
significant reduction in size. We used internally tiled tiff files with
overviews and had over 15TB of imagery online. There are other formats
that provide higher compression rates like MrSID and others, but
depending on the format the behavior characteristics vary greatly and I
do not have any recent stats or comparisons of size versus performance
versus format.

-SteveW