[mapserver-users] ./mapserv: error loading shared libraries:

Alberto Najera anajera at bicimapas.com.mx
Thu Mar 22 13:13:47 EDT 2012

I am installing Mapserver in a Centos 5 distribution. All the installation
process seems to be done correctly, but after running  "make"  in Mapserver
and testing with ./mapserv we are getting this error message:
./mapserv: error loading shared libraries: libjpeg.so.8: cannot open shared
object file: no such file or directory

We have installed jpeg-8d to the default directories /usr/local/lib/ using
the ./configure --disable-static  to make sure all the libraries are shared.

Also, we are using gdal-1.9.0 and it is configured to use the external
jpeg-8d library.

I cannot understand why we are getting this error message. Furthermore, I
really do not need to use JPEG as I plan to use PNG images for rendering our
vector data.  I have attempted to configure Mapserver without JPEG by
several means including not calling for it, using   without-jpeg  and
--disable-jpeg  and nevertheless, configure always shows that JPEG support
will be used.

Can you provide some help on how to fix this?  I have been dealing with this
issue for over 10 days and cannot find a solution

Alberto Najera