[mapserver-users] Avoid labels over particular lines

Brent Fraser bfraser at geoanalytic.com
Fri Mar 23 14:22:58 EDT 2012

Steve L.,

   I was thinking more of a way to avoid certain locations for label
placement.  Currently the label cache mechanism "reserves" locations
that already have labels (if I remember correctly), and mapserver
iterates thru the 9 locations to hopefully find one without any existing
labels.  My thought was to use that method to create polygons not of
label boxes, but of outlines of feature graphics. and put those in the
label cache (at a much lower priority than the label boxes perhaps?).
In a perfect world, the label would be placed in an "empty" area., or
more likely in an area of a minimal amount of graphics.

Best Regards,
Brent Fraser