[mapserver-users] MapScript leaks, was Mapfile VS MapScript performance

Peter Hopfgartner peter.hopfgartner at r3-gis.com
Wed Nov 7 01:36:37 PST 2012

On 11/07/2012 10:15 AM, thomas bonfort wrote:
Hi Thomas
( ... )
> - certain mapscript scripts will leak non trivial amounts of memory,
> forcing server restarts periodically if you don't have an infinite
> amount of memory available.

This is indeed an issue. It can inelegantly be handled limitig the
process reuses in apaches's httpd.conf. Anway, do you have any hint
where these leaks happen or if and how they can be plugged? Are these
leaks visible to valgrind? Could we provide a simple recipe, to allow
people to valgrind their particular setup and provide feedback?
> with all that said, my recommendation is to stick with cgi/fastcgi
> unless you have very specific needs that force you to use mapscript.
 From personal experience, I fully embrace this.

> --
> thomas

Thanks,