[mapserver-users] Still impossible to force labels inside their polygons?

Lime, Steve D (DNR) Steve.Lime at state.mn.us
Tue Sep 4 08:13:49 PDT 2012

It's tough to know what I'm looking at from the picture. What does the layer definition look like?

At the moment polygon label point computation tries a couple of approaches get a label point inside the polygon: 1) compute a center of gravity 2) if that computation doesn't work (e.g. point is too close to the edge) then a scanline-based process is used to sample possible positions. The mid-point of the longest y sample is used.

It's always trade-off with speed and the above seems a happy medium.

Steve