[mapserver-users] MODE=legendicon & GROUP Layers

Andrew Cowie CowieA at landcareresearch.co.nz
Fri Sep 7 08:46:28 PDT 2012

Hello list

Wondering if anyone can help…

We have been utilising the legendicon mode to create a custom legend in our application, however some recent work to try and speed up our WMS has reworked our mapfiles slightly, making use of GROUP LAYERs to group almost identical LAYERs together, the only difference in the LAYERs being MAX & MINSCALEDENOM and the DATA request string to our PostGIS database – hitting a generalised version of the geometry at smaller scales.

        LAYER
                NAME 'lri_luc_main_gen_500k'
                GROUP 'lri_luc_main'
                DATA 'the_geom_gen_500k FROM "data"."lri" USING UNIQUE gid USING srid=2193'
                INCLUDE 'includes/lri_luc_main_layer.inc'
                MINSCALEDENOM 251001
        END
        LAYER
                NAME 'lri_luc_main_full'
                GROUP 'lri_luc_main'
                DATA 'the_geom FROM "data"."lri" USING UNIQUE gid USING srid=2193'
                INCLUDE 'includes/lri_luc_main_layer.inc'
                MAXSCALEDENOM 251000
                MINSCALEDENOM 15000
        END

The request for the legend icon is of the form:

http://<servername>/cgi-bin/mapserv.fcgi?FORMAT=image/gif&MAP=lri.map&MODE=legendicon&ICON=lri_luc_main,1

This worked fine before we started using GROUPs, however now we now encounter the error:

mapserv(): Web application error. Icon layer=lri_luc_main not found in map file.

Does the legendicon mode work with GROUP layers?
If not, is there a way round this?

Or alternatively, perhaps there is a better way to request a generalised version of the geometry that doesn't involve GROUP LAYERs?

Any help or suggestions much appreciated.

Many thanks

Andrew