[mapserver-users] Label Annotation and repeatdistance

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Mon Sep 24 08:31:46 PDT 2012

On 9/24/2012 8:42 AM, Andrea Peri wrote:
>  >REPEATDISTANCE only works with lines. What is does is to create
> multiple label points
>  >along the line. This does not make sense for ANNOTATION layers for two
> reasons:
>
> ok,
> thx for explain.
> I misunderstand the mean of "repeat".
>
>  >2. annotation is deprecated in 6.2 and will be going away in the future
>
> This is really interesting to know.
> There is a better choice to write a text on a map?

You can do everything you need to with a POINT layer. There have been a
large number of enhancements to labeling in 6.2

http://mapserver.org/development/rfc/ms-rfc-77.html
http://mapserver.org/development/rfc/ms-rfc-81.html (while this RFC does
not reflect that it was voted on, I believe it was and is part of 6.2 also)

-Steve W