[mapserver-users] [mapcache] Add OSM into TileCache

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Mon Sep 24 19:03:35 PDT 2012

Hi Hanks,

I have moved this discussion to the mapserver list so sub to it if you
have not already.

mapcache does not support input source s other than WMS at the moment.
BUT there is a hackish way to work around that if you need to:

You should be able to setup a mapserver WMS service with a LAYER using
GDAL 1.7.0+ configured to pull OSM tile server as input.

So mapserver requests the OSM tiles and assembles an image in response
to a WMS request it receives from mapcache and mapcache then chops the
image back into tiles and stores them in the cache in response to your
OpenLayers making tile requests to mapcache.

I have not done this but I suspect that it would work very well and
while it sounds convoluted it should not be that hard to figure out the
details if you ask on this list when you have a problem.

-Steve W