[mapserver-users] zoomable slider (looking) map from Mapserver

Brent Fraser bfraser at geoanalytic.com
Tue Apr 9 08:52:47 PDT 2013

Bob,

   I'm not sure I've successfully visualized your solution, but I do
appreciate your problem.  While the web mapping community has come up
with decent set of concepts and tools for spatially navigating data
(pan, zoom, etc), we seem to be lacking a standard, intuitive (?) set of
tools for temporally exploring data with a strong geospatial connection.

   Some of the temporal concepts stolen from geography that we'll have
to deal with: event extents, event resolution/density, temporal scale
(especially with respect to animation),...

   I think the eventual solution will be JavaScript-based, maybe nearly
the size of OpenLayers effort.  I'm leaning towards having separate
panel (like we tend to have for the legend, etc) for time navigation.
For layout and interaction ideas, have a look at the D3 examples
(https://github.com/mbostock/d3/wiki/Gallery), particularly the
CrossFilter (http://square.github.com/crossfilter/) example.

   Sorry, no solution; just encouragement...

Best Regards,
Brent Fraser