[mapserver-users] Can't draw points from shapefile

Brent Fraser bfraser at geoanalytic.com
Sat Aug 3 08:23:55 PDT 2013

Michael,

   A minor point: Change UNITS DD in the map portion (UNITS, EXTENT, and
PROJECTION are all related).

   But the basic problem is a lack of a SYMBOL object in the STYLE
object of the points layer.  I didn't think it was necessary (it wasn't
in some previous versions?).  Back in the day, I thought the default was
SYMBOL 0 which was defined as a filled circle therefore no explicit
definition or reference required in the map file.  It looks like this is
no longer the case.

   So the solution is to add a symbol definition to the map file
(between the WEB and LAYER objects):

   #Circle symbol
   SYMBOL
     NAME 'CIRCLE'
     TYPE ellipse
     FILLED true
     POINTS
       1 1
     END
   END

and add a reference to it in the LAYER's STYLE object:

             STYLE
                 SYMBOL 'CIRCLE'
                 COLOR        255 1 1
             END