[mapserver-users] mapcache kml click function

Schweitzer, Peter pschweitzer at usgs.gov
Mon Dec 2 07:44:05 PST 2013

With help from some of my technical colleagues, I've managed to get
mapcache 1.2.0 up and running with mapserver 6.4.0 serving some
geoscientific data that otherwise take quite some time to render.
This is great stuff; many thanks to the development team!

One question:  I've managed to get the KML interface working
reasonably well, and the one thing that I wish it could do is respond
to a user click in the features by bringing up a feature information
balloon or simply showing a web page, in a manner similar to the way
these data work in Google Earth when loaded as vector data.  I'm
guessing that the NetworkLink object in KML does not give me a way to
specify a data link of this type; have I understood this correctly?

Is there another way to persuade Google Earth to open a given URL on
click for a selected layer, passing the geographic coordinates of the
point clicked in the arguments of the URL?

My KML is at http://mrdata.usgs.gov/geology/state/USGS-SGMC.kml
That is a NetworkLink pointing to
http://mrdata.usgs.gov/mapcache/kml/sgmc@WGS84.kml
The vector renditions of the same data are at pages like
http://mrdata.usgs.gov/geology/state/kml/vtgeol.kmz normally accessed
through pages such as
http://mrdata.usgs.gov/geology/state/state.php?state=VT

Peter
--
Peter N. Schweitzer (U.S. Geological Survey, Reston, VA 20192)
(703) 648-6533  email: pschweitzer at usgs.gov
http://geology.usgs.gov/peter/